wa-wa-wee-wa

Monday, November 28, 2005

This has at best little, and probably nothing at all to do with Sydney, but does give me an excuse to put up a couple of pictures of Borat which will no doubt amuse some folks (you know who you are)

You have to wonder sometimes just how dumb people really are.

It seems that the Kazakhstan Foreign Ministry is again upset with Sasha Baron Cohen for his portrail of Borat, self-styled "#2 top television reporter in Kazahkstan" following the hosting of the the MTV Europe awards last week, where his comments about a transvesite playing Madonna went down very well. Perhaps not new news, but I only just heard it, so it's new to me.

"That singer before me. Who was it? It was very courageous of MTV to start the show with a genuine transvestite. He was very convincing. It was only his hands and his testisatchels that gave it away."

Really, what did they think he was going to do? Stop? Yeah, I can see that happening. Instead, there's a flurry of news articles about legal threats, and the predictably satirical response from Mr Borat.

From Yahoo News:

Responding in character as Borat, Cohen, who is Jewish, said: "I like to state, I have no connection with Mr Cohen and fully support my government's position to sue this Jew."

"Since 2003 ... Kazakhstan is as civilised as any other country in the world," he said on his website, http://www.borat.kz/.

"Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hat and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."

One Western diplomat in the Central Asian state's biggest city Almaty said he at least partly sympathised with the Kazakh government in trying to set the record straight.

Proper media (rather than the stuff most of this came from) has also picked up the story (such as it is). The Guardian has a condensed series of facts, and The Independent seems to have "50 things you should know about Kazakhstan". The only thing I know for sure is that The Independent must have been drinking fermented horse urine if they think I'm going to pay money to read the article.

It is lunch now, time to eat some Beshbarmak then shoot some dogs.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?